Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a high technology design and engineering company. We work with a number of the world’s best-known consumer electronics manufacturers to bring our innovative designs and technology from concept to mass manufacture.
We are experts in the design of devices using smart materials. Our technology is used to control, move and position objects with exceptional accuracy using shape memory alloy (SMA). SMA provides single piece motors the size of a human hair controlled to the precision of the wavelength of light. We are the only company in the world to master the use of this material and we have a range of designs built on this technology platform that combine high precision with reliability.
Within our extensive intellectual property portfolio are patented technologies for: auto-focus and optical image stabilization used in smartphones cameras and drones; devices to improve the accuracy of 3D-sensing; devices for producing haptic effects in a small and localized space; precision control for accurate dosing and metering; and the manipulation of surgical instruments.
CML is located in the university city of Cambridge, one of the world’s leading technology and innovation hubs.
- CML licensed actuators have passed the qualification programme of one of the top three global smartphone brands and license agreements with suppliers of several world-leading smartphone brands have been signed.
- CML licensed actuators are used to control the cameras contained in market-leading drones.
- Cameras containing CML licensed SMA actuators have been launched in the wearables market sector.
- Development programmes in the haptics and medical market sectors have attracted external funding and are underway.
- CML has developed designs to improve the quality of 3D-sensing data by over an order of magnitude.
- Techworks Company of the Year 2017
Shanghai Billu Electronics Co. Ltd signs license for SMA OIS actuator production
The Front Row Wearable Camera containing CML licensed OIS is launched
Actuator Solutions extends license for SMA camera products
InFocus launches smartphones using CML's SMA OIS camera technology
SMA OIS actuators start shipping to Foxconn production orders
TDK Hutchinson Technology signs license for SMA OIS actuator production
Yamaha acquires CML's audio IP portfolio
Princeton University and CML partner and develop 3D audio technology
Panasonic starts shipping handsets with CML's SMA AutoFocus cameras
Seiko Instruments starts mass production of AutoFocus actuators using CML’s SMA technology
Mitsubishi adds digital sound projectors to all of its flat screen TVs in US market
Loewe licenses CML's technology and releases digital sound projectors for their flat screen TV range
Yamaha expands their digital sound projector product range to include the YSP-800 and enter the mainstream consumer audio market
Yamaha becomes CML's second licensee and launches the high-end YSP-1 sound projector
Pioneer launches the world's first digital sound projector using CML's technology